Re: Time to update documentation regarding supported configurationstyles?

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
On Mar 14, 2003, Laurent Guerby <guerby at acm dot org> wrote:

We could silently to mkdir BUILD, cd BUILD, ../configure --magic args
that generate a dummy Makefile in srcdir that does cd BUILD; make args

Or perhaps re-exec `pwd`/configure ${1+"$@"}, or just set
srcdir=`pwd`?  Wouldn't this be enough to get us around the problems
with relative, in-source-tree builds?

Hmm. Are there also problems with *absolute* in-source-tree builds? I believe you're right and there shouldn't be any significant such problems.

Very good idea.

Currently things work the opposite way, however; if srcdir=objdir, the top level sets srcdir="." claiming that this is "important for multilibs". So maybe there is some problem.

--Nathanael