Re: Improving gcc scalability wrt _extra_ large C files

Zack Weinberg wrote:

This sounds like a sane approach. It's possible that you won't need
the linked list anymore if you make that change.

Thank you. The idea in keeping the linked list was to make the usage of the hash table optional, i.e. activable by some command-line switch. Also, it has the nice property of not disturbing all the debugging printout functions.

Another possible approach is to invert the lookup.  Make the
IDENTIFIER_NODE point to its binding contour, and then have lookup_tag
check that that's the one we want.  (handwaving wildly not having
actually looked at the code).

I don't really understand this : when the parser encouters a field in one structure, that references another structure, it has to lookup the referenced structure by using the tag of the structure anyway. I don't see how your idea would work, but it can be just because I don't know the code enough.

Jacques