Re: -fobey-inline (was Re: gcc and inlining)

Please, this is getting tiresome, I agree with Steven, this is needed, otherwise it'll be a case of 'you can't build a linux kernel without a patch to gcc'

If this is not working or any similar mechanism, it will make those of us using this sort of functionality bear the burden of replacing large sections of code with macros.

It has been repeatedly requested, and surely it's not resonable to argue with fx. kernel developers who says thar they REALLY need this ?

Are there any arguments against this other than ideological ? ( this flag doesn't interfere with gcc's normal operation and only when it's needed is it in effect, how can that be so bad ? ).

/ Lars Segerlund.

Richard Earnshaw wrote:
Richard Earnshaw writes:
> > for the people who need it.
> > No, it's a compile my buggy program issue.
> > There is no guarantee in the standard that an "inline" function will be > inlined.

Yes, but there are places where being able to guarantee inlining are
very useful.  glibc has one in the shared library loader, and there
are places in a kernel where it is essential to inline (perhaps
because there is no stack) but people are forced to use macros if
inlining is not guaranteed.  macros are bad for a bunch of reasons,
not the least of which is type safety.

And we have an attribute (always_inline) for that case. We don't need another method as well.

R.