Re: Putting C++ code into gcc front end

In message <Pine dot LNX dot 4 dot 21 dot 0303071549550 dot 2073-100000 at mail dot kloo dot net>, tm_gccmail@
mail.kloo.net writes:
 >On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Geoff Keating wrote:
 >
 >> Well... When I tried to imagine, I started thinking "and, yes, we
 >> could have completely different representations for exceptions and
 >> structures and references and function calls between the C, C++, Ada,
 >> and Java frontends" which didn't sound quite so great.  After all,
 >> another project which is also a good idea and not making much progress
 >> recently is to commonize more of the C and C++ frontends.
 >>
 >> Maybe a better solution would be to document what the tree structure
 >> is actually supposed to look like, and then try to ensure that?
 >
 >Maybe an optional treechecking pass that ensures the sanity of the tree?
 >This way, the assumptions are automagically checked.
Part of the problem is writing that checking pass would be next to
impossible right now -- precisely because nobody knows all the little
ins and outs of how certain tree nodes/flags are used.

It's not unlike the situation we were in with RTL a couple years ago, it's
taken quite a white to identify all those little ins and outs of how each
RTL code & flag is used.

It's a lot of work.  ANd unlike RTL, there's lots of stuff that is
specific to each front-end, which adds further complication.

Jeff