Re: Putting C++ code into gcc front end

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 05:53:42PM -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
> Personally, I'd love to re-write all of Gcc in C++,
> starting with using inheritance for tree nodes, so
> we can actually get some static type-checking.

I also think we could win in this rewriting.

I already started to work in this direction and the first step
would be to provide an interface for building the underlying
structures.

For the tree level the interface would be something like:
- a build_<lang>_* interface for language specific trees
- a build_generic_* interface for building GENERIC trees
- a build_gimple_* interface for building GIMPLE trees

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-09/msg01036.html

Once we removed all the dependencies on the structures via an
appropriate interface, we're ready to switch to a better
implementation.

Since this interfacing work is quite intrusive (it will affect
all the "build (" or "build1 (" functions), I would like it to go
in the mainline instead of in a branch.  A new branch will contain
the oo-trees that will (I hope) replace the current tree structures.
The performances in compile time and the clarity of the design (this
includes the documentation) will decide of the inclusion of this
branch in mainline.

	Sebastian