Re: Suggestions for improving gcc 3.2 compilation speed?

Lars Segerlund wrote:

Russell Shaw wrote:

Anna Fowles-Winkler wrote:

>  I like gcc, however I think this pinpoints the problem of using it for
> real software developement, it's painfully slow and getting slower all
> the time. When I get some time I will also look if I can give some help
> in making it faster, however this is a problem since people are starting
> to abandon gcc, ( for everything exept trivial stuff ).
>
>  Gcc would need a 50 % speedup in this case to be deemed usefull, and I
> believe a speedup of 100%-200% would be necessary in order to put it on
> par with most other compilers.
>
>  I just want to point out this in retrospect of the previous discussion
> about compilation speed as a real issue, not to restart the debate.
>
>  / Lars Segerlund.

I haven't been on this list long enough to see all the speed discussions,
but have these tests been done after excluding makefile and build-script
processes? Has HDD accesses been measured?

With my 500MHz P-III, i see many compile stages lasting for 10s or more
when compiling a kernel or another gcc from source. I can't believe there's
that many cpu cycles used in purely compiling. I'd thought the actual
compilation time would be more like < %10 of the total time.
Borland C++ Builder speeds the compilation by caching pre-compiled headers.