Re: Suggestions for improving gcc 3.2 compilation speed?

 > From: Anna Fowles-Winkler <awinkler at maad dot com>
 >
 > Hi Kaveh,
 >
 > I ran gcc 3.2.2 with the patch, and it took 15 minutes instead of 18
 > minutes to compile my application.  That's a slight improvement,

Looks like around 20% improvement.  I wouldn't call that "slight".
It's pretty hard to get that much better out of gcc, especially with a
two line patch. :-)

 > but I
 > guess my ideal running time would be closer to 10 minutes.  Am I
 > dreaming? :)

I don't know, how long does your code take to compile with 2.95.3 or
some other compiler?

 > I think at this point I'm either going to go back to 2.95.3, or consider
 > a commercial compiler.
 >
 > Thanks to everyone for your support.
 > --Anna
 >
 > PS - My application is mixed C/C++, and is compiled with the C++
 > compiler.  It has about 300K lines of code (400K+ including comments,
 > blank lines), and links to Motif libraries, among other things.

Would you please try one more thing?  I'd like you to take your
largest file (or the one that takes the longest to compile) and run
before and after tests with --time-report, then post the results.
That will tell us where the compiler is spending it's time and also
zero in on gcc performance rather than "make" performance.

		Thanks,
		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi at caip dot rutgers dot edu