Re: Incorrectly using call-clobbered registers

On 6 Mar 2003, Carlos Sánchez de La Lama wrote:

> El jue, 06-03-2003 a las 14:33, Hans-Peter Nilsson escribió:
> > On 6 Mar 2003, Carlos Sánchez de La Lama wrote:
> >
> > > I'm working with a port of gcc for the OpenRISC architecture,
> >
> > Using GCC CVS, I hope?  If not, do that.
>
> Not really using *gcc* CVS. The gcc port for OpenRISC is available  at
> OpenCores (http://www.opencores.org) CVS, and I think guys at OpenCores
> have already got in touch with GNU to make it an official port.

FWIW I don't recall seeing anything here on this list.

> > > In that architecture, register r11 is used to hold return value from
> > > functions,
> >
> > (Is there a r12 to go with that, for 64-bit values?)
>
> Not at all. In case a 64-bit value is returned (in fact the problem
> arises when the compiler calls internal function muldi3 under certains
> circumstances), r11 holds a pointer to a memory position where such
> value is.

Not really a good choice for ABI, IMHO.  Whatever; there are
certainly worse ones.

> > You should start the process to submit the port to the FSF and
> > ask (for you or another) to be maintainer.  Really.  Resistance
> > is futile.  QED.
>
> I bet ;-) that it sould be done by OpenRISC guys, shouldn't it?

Oh, I thought you were one of the OpenRISC guys.  Gee, talk
about "barking up the wrong tree"!  But please feel free to
forward my comments. :-)

> If really wanted, I can upload the actual code I have. This includes
> changes I've done from OpenRISC code available in CVS. But, again,
> it's not the *last* development version.

No, and sorry, I'm not interested in anyones private CVS version
(well, unless there's other incitament involved :-)

Good luck and happy hacking.

brgds, H-P