Re: Putting C++ code into gcc front end

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 02:12:31PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> We can *not* easily ask everyone who currently
> builds GCC to install a C++ compiler for bootstrap purposes.  I am
> personally familiar with an organization that still uses gcc 2.7.2 as
> a starting point for GCC builds.  That's a bit extreme, but still.

They have two easy solutions:
- use the 3.x g++ compiler they bootstrapped from their 2.7.2 ages ago
- find binaries on the net
- pay [insert gcc vendor here, that even includes the fsf iirc] to
  provide them with binaries

Gcc maintainer time is finite, very finite, and if some C++ features
helps them doing their jobs (like full-on abstration or exceptions in
the verify.cc case), should their time and convenience be second to
unnamed organizations?

If you ever compared a gtk+ to a Qt equivalent program, you already
know how crappy and unmaitainable simulated object in C can be.  And,
as emacs proves, exceptions through setjmp/longjmp are better left to
compilers to generate.  Do you want to see that kind of crap appear in
gcc, especially in the backend?

  OG.