Re: Extending Gcc For a New Language

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Robert Dewar wrote:

> The answer to all your question is no. Obviously gcc cannot out of the
> box accomodate arbitrary new language features you think up. It does not
> have some magic table driven front end.

The basic question is does gcc support those language features. Or will I
have to add support for them.  For example I assume gcc has support for
Virtual Inheritance and that support is shared between C++ and Java, or am I
wrong and does each front end have to support it for its self.  I'm sorry
I am very ignorant to Gcc internals.

I assume you are answering is No, gcc goes not have support for those
language features.

Also, some of the features could tie into the optimization passes like
decided if inline code is worth emitting in a header file.  Or if a type
is guarantee not to exceed its range, etc.

---
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org