Re: Putting C++ code into gcc front end

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 09:40 AM, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

The last time this came up, I recall the conclusion being 'not for 3.3
but let's revisit this in the 3.4 cycle' which is now.  Personally I'd
be happy to see ISO C required for the entire compiler collection at
this point.

Seconded. Thirded. I'm running out of hands here....

what if we only built the C front end, optimizers, and back end during
all three stages of a bootstrap? And then came back to build the other
front ends when we were done?

I think this sounds like a really good idea.

A good idea for now. On the other hand... Bootstraps are a nice sanity
test. If the C++ front end is ever written in C++, surely we'll want to make
sure it can compile itself.

--Matt