Re: Huge Increase in Unstripped Executable Size G++ 2.95 to 3.2

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:06:40PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > You didn't read the whole message, did you?
>
> I think I did.  But I believe it is incorrect: the reason
> is that just the object files are much bigger too than with
> stabs, and these cannot be explained by "duplicated includes"

For one thing, if you're saying "should be handled by the preprocessor"
then you don't understand what Jim means by duplicated includes.  He's
talking about multiple object files which include the same header; it's
a _linker_ optimization.

There are a number of other ways in which GCC's DWARF-2 output is
crappy, sizewise.  Before anyone leaps on me, most of them are because
GDB's DWARF-2 reader is crappy, featurewise.  That's being worked on.
Beaten on might be a better term.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz