Re: Dropping of old loop optimizer

In message <20030228095445 dot GD5431 at kam dot mff dot cuni dot cz>, Jan Hubicka writes:

 >> >Last time I had a close look at rtl was about two years ago :-)
 >> >Dan is the expert to ask about the status of SSA at rtl level (he
 >> >adapted
 >> >the CCP code from rtl to tree-ssa).
 >> The problem with RTL SSA is hard registers and subregs.
 >> There are hard registers assigned in certain cases during initial RTL
 >> generation.
 >> These can't be renamed, obviously.
 >
 >The tree-SSA represents the SSA form as datastructure on the top of the
 >trees not modifying the trees themselves, right?  Why it is not feasible
 >for RTL (ie you won't need to rename the registers)
hard-regs and subregs really aren't really the problem with rtl-ssa,
they're both solvable.  The first by ignoring them, the second with
some annoying, but not terribly difficult work in the ssa->normal
translator.

What is far more of a problem for rtl-ssa is the lack of any kind of
generic level rtl.

The tree-SSA branch using a rewriting SSA form now.

Jeff