Re: Dropping of old loop optimizer

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 04:14:48PM +0000, pop wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:43:28AM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >
> > I had started to work on this method, but decided it was too complex,
> > and moved to monotonic evolution.
> >
> In contrast to the CR method, monotonic evolution (ME) gives approximate
> data dependences: you'll have the direction but not the distance vector
> of a dependence.  Fact: not all optimizers use approximate vectors.
>
> In this point you cannot compare these two passes, but anyway ...

Forgot to mention the conclusion of one of the papers on ME:
"Monotonic Evolution: an Alternative to Induction Variable Substitution
for Dependence Analysis"
Peng Wu, Albert Cohen, Jay Hoeflinger, and David Padua

"Closed form expression computation [...] is also critical for removing
dependences due to computation of induction variables themselves."

In other words if you generate code for IV functions at loop-phi-nodes,
then you can parallelize these loops.

	Sebastian