Re: Dropping of old loop optimizer

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:43:28AM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> I had started to work on this method, but decided it was too complex,
> and moved to monotonic evolution.

In contrast to the CR method, monotonic evolution (ME) gives approximate
data dependences: you'll have the direction but not the distance vector
of a dependence.  Fact: not all optimizers use approximate vectors.

In this point you cannot compare these two passes, but anyway ...

> Are you sure CR's are going to be fast enough?

..., I agree CR is slower than ME.  ME was designed to be faster.

We could speed up CRs by generating them on demand.  This way we'll
limit this "expensive" ("not so-" in my opinion since I haven't
tested it yet :-) pass to a single loop nest.

	Sebastian