autoconf issues

Hi there, I'm setting up gcc 3.1.1 to create a cross compiler for the
m6809, using some files lying about.  They're old, but I'll deal with
those problems when I get to them.

I edited config.sub to include my new target, and then tried to run
autoconf.

My current problem is that autoconf is not working.  I ran it with the
verbose option, and here's the output:

autoconf: running /usr/bin/gm4 --nesting-limit=1024 -I /usr/share/autoconf
-I . -Dm4_tmpdir=/tmp/ac8799 -Dm4_warnings=syntax
--reload-state=/usr/share/autoconf/autoconf.m4f   configure.in
autoconf: forbidden:
autoconf: allowed: ^$

To me, it looks like it's not liking configure.in... although, I guess, it
could be that it doesn't like its own installation, or whatever.  Does
anyone have an idea as to what's going wrong here?  I've searched high and
low on the web for information, and after finding a page that describes
the process of adding a target, I found nothing else.  Nothing telling me
why autoconf might be screwing up, or even a GNU page on creating a new
target.

Here's my setup: Mac OS X 10.2.4 (with gcc 3.1, as shipped), downloaded
gcc 3.1.1 sources from ftp.gnu.org (which I am trying to work with).

The config files for the target are available at
http://www7.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~msdoerfe/6809/, if anyone's
interested.  If anyone also has any pointers as to what's changed between
2.7.2 and 3.1, as far as target config files go, that'd be helpful too,
but I want to get the autoconf problem resolved first.

Thanks in advance,
James