Re: GCC 3.3 release criteria

On Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003, at 13:00 US/Pacific, Matt Austern wrote:

On Tuesday, February 25, 2003, at 12:51 PM, Michael Hayes wrote:

tm_gccmail at mail dot kloo dot net writes:

My feelings exactly...for embedded programming and kernel work, you need
an inline keyword that consistently inlines, regardless of the setting of
the compiler switches or whatever.

I endorse this for small-scale embedded apps where you want the convenience of a function call abstraction but not the expense of a call instruction---some micros only have an 8 level call stack!

For general programming, I'm happy to defer to the wisdom of the
compiler.

This sounds like an argument in favor of a switch like Apple's -fobey-inline. Programmers who are writing specialized code and who need detailed control of low-level optimizations will use that switch, others won't.

Again, I should remind people: Apple tried the experiment of
making -fobey-inline the default.  The results were not good.

Specifically, indiscriminate use can provoke significant code bloat.

This sort of low-level control is sometimes useful, but it's
not useful as often as a lot of people think it is.

<platitude> Like any tool, it can be misused. </platitude>

If we do make -fobey-inline available (which I think we should),
then I encourage everyone to compile their code with and
without it, and look at the effect on code size, before adding
it to their makefiles.

Granted the evident interest, I will dust off "-fobey-inline", regression-test it, and offer a patch.

stuart hastings
Apple Computer