Re: Target deprecation, round three

David Edelsohn wrote:
Nathanael Nerode writes:

Nathanael> In other words, you can make GCC target EBCDIC machines, you can have Nathanael> EBCDIC machines as hosts running GCC, but you can't actually build GCC Nathanael> on an EBCDIC machine.

	GCC for z/OS Unix System Services uses the system assembler and
linker to build other applications and to build itself.  GNU Binutils does
not exist for z/OS to provide a Free Software cross-environment.  The only
cross-environment is the commercial Dignus product.
Hmm. So with my proposal you'd have to use Dingus to build GCC, and could then use GCC natively on z/OS. I take it you're saying that would not be a good situation. OK, just getting things clear.

... Actually, I'm not clear on when character constants like '/' are converted to numbers. Does the *compiler* do it or does the *assembler*? If the compiler does it, one could theoretically cross-compile the relevant GCC files to assembly (on an ASCII machine), move everything over to the EBCDIC machine, and do the rest of the build there (being careful not to recompile those files). This would require a bit of care... maybe too ugly to consider.

	Developers use gcc-i370 both natively on z/OS and with the Dignus
System/ASM cross-assembler environment.

David