Re: Target deprecation, round three

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 13:36, David Edelsohn wrote:

> Zack> It turns out that only a small part of the i370 back end is dependent
> Zack> on HOST_EBCDIC.  I would be willing to compromise at the removal of
> Zack> all support for this mode, leaving the rest of the back end intact.
> Zack> However, I think that the demonstrated lack of interest in maintaining
> Zack> the port in the FSF repository is still a strong argument for
> Zack> obsoleting this entire back end.
>
> 	The main use of the i370 port is z/OS Unix System Services, which
> is an EBCDIC environment.  If GCC cannot be hosted in an EBCDIC
> environment, the i370 port is much less useful, so your compromise is not
> much of a compromise at all.
>
> David

I think that i370 is clearly useful to people and should be supported.

The question is how to do that.  Ideally, I agree with Zack that it
should be merged with the s390 backend; the architectures are similar
enough that they should be one backend.

However, I don't think we can deprecate i370 to try to force that issue;
we have to hope that someone will actually go it.  And if they did do
it, I think we'd still have the EBCDIC issue -- that's part of the OS.

How exactly does the EBCDIC stuff interact with the multi-charset stuff?

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC