Re: Target deprecation, round three

Zack Weinberg wrote:

The majority of the targets on my "round two" list
(http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-12/msg00702.html) went over without
comment.  With a couple of exceptions I've dropped the targets which
someone spoke up in favor of; let's discuss the exceptions a bit more
carefully.  (If your favorite target is still on the list, speak up!
If you did already, it means I lost your mail; my apologies, and
please remind me.)

I'm pushing back on the following:

arm*-*-aof*

  This target is responsible for masses of #ifdefs all over the ARM
  back end.  Is it *really* necessary to continue using this rather
  quirky assembler?  Could you perhaps move to GAS and arm-elf
  instead?

Unfortunately this is not possible, though I've considered switching to GAS and arm-elf in the past. RISC OS does not support ELF binaries.

However the rest of the code and patches to support RISC OS are kept in my own private tree, so it is feasible for me to just move the AOF stuff into my own set of patches.

It would be handy if you could leave it in for 3.3, then dump it for 3.4 and later releases if you like.

Cheers,

Nick.