arc-*-* was Re: Target deprecation, round three

Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Let's try to get a final list for deprecations in the 3.3 release by
> the end of the week.  I once again have to apologize for dropping the
> ball.
>

> In addition to target deprecation, I would also like to propose the
> removal of support for DWARF version 1.  There are only two target
> patterns that request DWARF 1 but not DWARF 2: mips-sni-sysv4, which
> is already on the deprecation list, and arc-*-*, which I see no
> intrinsic reason why it couldn't migrate to DWARF 2; it is already an
> ELF target.  Tangentially, my impression is that the ARC target itself
> is still actively maintained, but I am not sure.  Please speak up if
> you have a current need for this target.

I see no indication that the ARC is actively maintained.  I filed
PR3587 against GCC 3.0 on 6 July 2001.  This PR is a fundamental
problem in the file config/arc/t-arc and it doesn't build.  The last
change I see that was specifically to the arc backend was in March 2002
when Jakub fixed PR4792.  He comment in the PR feedback says:

> Need GCC patch for multilib bug (PR3587) I've submitted to patch
> mailing list and build of GNU binutils for
>                   target "arc-elf".

I don't see a post with this patch to gcc-patches in the March 2002
time frame to t-arc but apparently Jakub had to have fixed it then.
Whether it was posted or not, it was never merged and no one noticed.

joel at OARcorp dot com                 On-Line Applications Research