Re: GCC 3.3 compile speed regression - AN ANSWER

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 08:35:56AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > And I've pointed out several times that the generated code quality doesn't
> > seem to be improving, and I've not gotten any pushback on that either. I
> > bet most gcc people know this in their hearts.
>
> Actually, we've got a lot of numbers that go the other way - someone
> earlier quoted a 10% improvement across SPEC, and it's not isolated to
> benchmarks.  When people point the finger at particular code that gets
> worse, it seems to usually get fixed.

Well, I know, the discussion is about C, but in our C++ project
(http://www.mico.org) I see an improvement in a code quality (our
servers/clients perform better) and the code is generaly smaller...

Right, I don't know anything about C.

On the other hand, I don't like gcc slowness at all, but here I'm
optimist.

Cheers,

Karel
--