Re: [tree-ssa] alias analysis

Yes, splitting the sets would work too, but that seems to be avoiding
the real issue -- creating too many useless alias relationships to begin
with.
It's funny you mention creating too many useless alias relationships vs splitting sets.
Splitting sets doesn't help make it faster.
Turning on PTA makes it split sets a lot more right now (since we can disambiguate so much better).
On 20001226-1.c, it takes a little over a second and a half (I can actually make it take well under a second, but it's not a priority for me since i think 1.68 seconds is an okay number here) to compute the points-to results
tree PTA : 1.68 ( 1%) usr 0.11 ( 8%) sys 1.87 ( 1%) wall

However, because of the extra set splitting that happens, phi insertion time goes through the roof:
tree PHI insertion : 50.27 (18%) usr 0.05 ( 3%) sys 52.36 (18%) wall

This is with *always* using alias sets, and just using PTA to disambiguate.

(In case someone tries this, tree alias analysis time goes through the roof, but this is just a red herring. I've already fixed it in my tree)

So be careful with extra set splitting, it'll currently drive your phi insertion time up (whether it should or not is another matter)

On a random note, do either of you plan on making calls to may_alias_p from outside of tree-dfa.c anymore?

I had moved the freeing of PTA memory to SSA deletion time when Diego was doing alias tags, and using may_alias_p in tree-ssa.c, but if it's not going to be called during SSA building anymore, i'll move the freeing of PTA memory back to where it used to be.
Jeff