Re: cache misses in gcc 3.3

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 10:53:17AM -0700, law@redhat.com wrote:
> > While I expect there'll always be some constants or expressions that
> > only gcse will catch (specifically those created by the lowering process),
> > I expect that we can drop the memory tracking bits from gcse and maybe
> > simplify other stuff (like constant/copy propagation).
>
> Indeed, I would suspect that if there's much more to be gained except
> for address expressions exposed by lowering (particularly by stuff like
> symbol_ref -> high+lo_sum), then the tree-ssa optimizers aren't doing
> their job.
>
> I guess we'll see whether that guess is correct when we get that far.

Some of the RTL expanders to introduce loads and stores  (for instance
to load constant into register), so I guess there is still something for
LSmotion to optimize.  Also it would be nice to get store motion to
happen post reload so we can cleanup after it...
(it would implement us shrink wrapping)

Honza