Re: GCC 3.3 compile speed regression - AN ANSWER

Steven Bosscher wrote:

> > For speeding up compilation times?  What changes would they make in such
> > a fork that couldn't be made in the mainline compiler?
>
> I don't know, but if it had made sense I would probably have
> remembered.  But they discussed just about every free and nonfree C
> compiler and how it could/would/should help them get a kernel compiled
> faster.
> (Somebody complained that it took him 20 minutes to compile a kernel,
> that was unacceptable to him :-)

Something deep inside me can't resist saying "buy a faster machine" or
"think more, compile less". Full sarcasm mode on.

Seriously, when compile times were uniformly slow, batch, or overnight
we old timers put a lot more thought into fixing problems on paper.
These young whipper snappers just want to let the computer do
everything.

> Anyway, point is that they are complaining...

Yes.  And seriously, the base of code is large enough that even a few
percentage points in end to end peformance of the process will be
noticable.

Has anyone looked at how much the binutils contribute to the end to
end performance question?  gas is involved in every compile and ld is
involved in every program link.  I just don't recall it every being
mentioned.