Re: "ways of accomplishing ... the basic goal"

> Hold on there.  Maybe (probably) I'm not reading you right.
>
> Let's suppose we wanted to make a massive test suite for a new C++
> parser using, say, the Debian source base.
>
> So, first we identify those packages that use C++.
>
> Then we pick a stable version of GCC to use as a baseline.
>
> Then try building everything.  Just discard any packages that don't
> build.
>
> There's the test suite.  Anything that doesn't build with the new
> parser is, until proven otherwise, a regression.

I'm afraid Tom, you don't understand. Small explanation: old parser was
more tolerant to some code which wasn't strickly ISO C++, while the new
parser correctly reports errors. So the problem will be that you'll end
with tons of regressions against new parser while the problem is in wrong
C++ code of compiled packages.

For example: I've cleanup MICO sources from warnings generated by -Wall
while using gcc2.95.4 few months ago, but since gcc3.x is _much_ more
close to ISO C++, my work don't end and I still have to fix some other
warnings which gcc2.95.4 doesn't report at all. That was situation in
gcc3.0-3.3. In gcc3.4 the new C++ parser was introduced so the cycle
repeat again...

And now imagine that some package maintainer is brave and uses -Werror as
a param for compilation...

Cheers,

Karel
--