Re: GCC 3.3, GCC 3.4

Benjamin Kosnik wrote:-

> >Yes, it really is faster.  It really is better.  Consider for example
> >that we had the value be 2KB, and 1% increase, and someone said bumping
> >it up to 30% and 8MB is wrong and just papers over the real problem.
> >We'd laugh at them, just the same way I laugh at you now.
>
> You know, I agree with you. I could not figure out why Neil was saying
> this, when I posted real timing numbers, based on increased numbers, and
> others backed me up.

But were you comparing against an earlier compiler with similarly
increased GC parameters?  That's the comparison that matters, and
I'm sure you'd lose that one.

I agree the defaults might not be "right", and that in a sense getting
them "right" improves the compiler.  But it's not really improved the
compiler, if you see what I mean.

Neil.