Re: RFC: Named warnings

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

> > No, an implementor can add as many warnings as she wants.  The
> > standards only dictate what must be diagnosed.
> >
> > Regardless, what has that to do with my post?
>
> I was responding to the comment that some warnings should be made
> into errors.  That is not a transformation that is up to the
> individual implementor.

The C++ standard, IIRC, says nothing about "warning" or "error"
messages. It talks about "diagnostics". You can turn everything into
warnings, always generate an object file and you are ok as far as the
standard is concerned. What is a warning or an error is a QoI
issue. OTOH, a good C++ compiler reports far many more diagnostics
(errors and warnings) than the standard requires.

--
Oscar