Re: [3.2/3.3/HEAD] Make all the manuals unambiguously DFSG free

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> The controversy here is external to the GCC Project.  The argument is
> strictly speaking between thee Debian project and the drafters of the
> FDL.  My belief is that the GCC project should avoid getting into the
> argument, and my patch was intended to achieve such avoidance - no
> more.

Getting into such argument is avoided by closing any FSF GCC bug reports
about the standard GNU applications of the FDL with a reference to FSF
policies as described in "GNU Sample Texts" in the Texinfo manual [0] and
the FSF's instructions on using the FDL
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto.html>, further questions being
directed to RMS (though he doesn't have a GNATS account so you can't
assign PRs to him).

The FSF's licensing policies are up to the FSF, and Debian's are up to
Debian.  If neither will move then the FSF can always change its preferred
GNU/Linux distribution to one including the GCC manuals if it wants to and
Debian removes the manuals.

[0] At present the manuals use an older version of these with the
Front-Cover Text "A GNU Manual" being given out of line, "the Front-Cover
texts being (a) (see below)"; the current version gives the Front-Cover
Text inline and only the Back-Cover Text out of line.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk