Re: snapshots

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Just tell me where to find the scripts / what testing it needs, and
> I'll look into it.

maintainer-scripts/gcc_release.  Testing involves manually running
snapshots for the various cases involved from the gccadmin account.  I
expect anyone with CVS write access seriously intending to work on the
snapshot script would be given access to that account.

> > (including ensuring that the
> > first snapshot from a new branch gets diffs generated relative to the
> > previous mainline snapshot, etc.).
>
> Why does it need diffs relative to a different branch generated at all?

Snapshot tarballs are large, and so slow to download for many users.  Any
need to download tarballs more than once ever should be avoided as far as
possible - someone following mainline snapshots should be able to follow
on to the branch snapshots when a new release branch is created without
another large download.  (This also means that when snapshots from a
release branch cease to be generated, there should ideally be diffs
allowing people who had been following those snapshots to move to those
from the next release branch.  The script already contains support for
generating diffs against multiple versions; it hasn't been used much but
is intended to allow e.g.  a prerelease to get diffs generated against
both the previous release and the previous release branch snapshot.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk