Re: new parser: error recovery needs work

--On Friday, January 17, 2003 04:08:30 AM +1100 Gareth Pearce <tilps@hotmail.com> wrote:

Just a couple of thoughts about errors in the new parser...

i'm not sure why, but the errors now feel more like they need carat errors
I agree -- and I think you're right about the cause.  It's telling you
pretty clearly what's wrong, but you want to know *where exactly*.

We (CodeSourcery) have no plans to add this in the short term, but it
would be a very good thing.

Second thought, the error messages of the form 'expected type-id' etc ...
are compact and precise.  Something in me would like 'waffly friendly'
I thought about this, and I intentionally went for more technical error
messages.  I often find G++'s error messages confusing because of their
wafflyness -- I think "what on earth does that mean?"  G++ has a bad
tendency to make up terms that aren't in the standard or even in common
usage in the C++ community.  By using technical terms, at least people
can consult a reference book to figure out what's going on.

You're also right that better documentation about the various error
messages -- and better error messages! -- would help.