Re: [wwwdocs] segfault.html (was Synthetic register related: Segfault) - segfault.html [1/1]

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Janis Johnson wrote:

> Gerald suggested that I create a new directory called bugs and move the
> current bugs.html to bugs/index.html, updating all of the places that
> reference the current file.  Then reghunt-howto can be moved there, plus

Moving bugs.html is problematic - you can't just redirect with .htaccess
as is normal when moving files [1], because the URL given by installed
compilers is that on www.gnu.org and .htaccess doesn't get rewritten to
handle the different paths on www.gnu.org.  Thus a bugs.html file needs to
stay around forever with a redirecting link (and maybe meta
http-equiv=refresh) for users accessing the www.gnu.org file.

[1] Apparently not documented in the GCC Coding Conventions, but we try to
avoid breaking people's links and bookmarks.  For example, we use
.htaccess when renaming files (or merging one file into another), and all
the manuals for old releases in onlinedocs stay around forever even though
we only link to the manual for the most recent release in each release
series - someone might have the 2.95.2, 3.0.1, ... manual bookmarked or
linked to, and there are references to them in the list archives.

http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/981129.html

--
Joseph S. Myers