Fwd: Vshield ghost virus

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:43:04 -0500
To: gcc@gnu.org
From: Paulo S P Silveira <silveira@dsg.harvard.edu>
Subject: Vshield ghost virus

Dear friends,

Something weird is happening.

I downloaded gcc-3.2.1.tar.gz from your site to my PC...
When I tried to uncompress it (by double clicking the file and expecting WinZip could work) McAfee VShield offered the images I'm sending attached. Note that virus name is void! According to the second snapshot, the *.tar is the infected one.

So, I extracted the *.tar included inside the *.tar.gz and ran McAfee Viruscan that, for my surprise, did not show anything.

Then I tried a new download (version 2.9.5) from
http://mirrors.rcn.net/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-2.95/index.html
because I understood that is the version recomended to run under CygWin... The file is assumed as infected, too...

Is this possible yourr files are infected, or it is a false positive from McAfee?

Hope it helps,
Sincerely, Paulo.