Re: Merging PCH to mainline

Geoffrey Keating <gkeating@apple.com> writes:

> Now that the new C++ parser seems to have stabilised, I plan to merge
> pch-branch to mainline later today. I'd appreciate it if people could
> avoid committing changes during this time.

Is it supposed to work right now ? I just did a bootstrap/check with a mainline
updated half an hour ago and most/all pch tests in the test suite are failing.

Simple test cases fail too.

Also -Winvalid-pch doesn't appear in gcc -v --help output.

It has a single big PCH merge in the ChangeLog.

Platform is i686-linux (SuSE 8.1)

-Andi
On same platform myself (well debian instead of suse but anyway), finding pch somewhat different to i expected (heh i hadnt looked into it before), but trying to get it to work anyway.

Thought it seemed to be working - then i discovered -Winvalid-pch ... I would of thought that kind of warning would of been in -Wall ... and ofcourse I discovered that my pch file was invalid (differing optomisation flags)

I then got a ton of assembler errors - and all the errors go away if i use --save-temps!
Is save-temps disabling pch? - if so I assume a warning similar to the pipe disable warning will turn up at somepoint.
If not, is there some specific assembler version requirements ? - as -v gives

GNU assembler version 2.13.90.0.16 (i386-linux) using BFD version 2.13.90.0.16 20021126 Debian GNU/Linux

other thing which i'm trying to learn is ... I try to use -include and it thinks i'm trying to pre-compile the argument i pass to -include. (or at least thats what it seems like...
g++ -c --include="blah.h" blah.cc (where blah.h and blah.cc are just empty files) - gives
<command line>:138977397:41144: -xc++-header: No such file or directory
<command line>:139764257:41576: -xc++-header: No such file or directory
and i get an a.out and a blah.h.pch!

Gareth - wishes he could reduce some of these multiple ICE's the new parser causes down to submitable form.