Re: An unusual Performance approach using Synthetic registers

On Sunday 05 January 2003 08:05 am, Robert Dewar wrote:
> > Bah.  I missed that (misread while skimming, actually).  Maybe his
> > implementation approach is bogus after all.  Why not use the FP, if
> > it's there, or SP when FP is omitted.
>
> well indeed FP makes more sense, and that's why the discussoin lead there
>
> > But it can also improve both locality and the temporally proximate
> > re-use of memory locations.
>
> That's really not an issue for scalars. L1 caches are small but not that
> small. once again, empirically most references to local stack frames are
> in cache anyway, so there's really not much to improve here.
>
> > ja_walker is right: it's a worthwhile emperical question

Agreed.
Further consider: Any line of investigation that provides leads
to improvements in cache utilization is worthwhile.

Example, my several year out-of-date system:
CPU: L1 I cache: 16K, L1 D cache: 16K
CPU: L2 cache: 512K
Both running at core clock speed.
(Times two of them {SMP})

Ignoring the fact that they aren't linearly addressable memory;
going by size alone...

That is enough memory to run PC-DOS in along with a few
memory resident programs and a respectable sized application,
such as a spreadsheet program and never touch main memory.

Mike