Re: GCC still getting a lot slower

On 02-Jan-2003, Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz> wrote:

> For C performance I think it can be practical to just benchmark linux
> kernel build - it is fixed piece as it does not include any external
> headers, large enought to make measurements hopefully stable enought and
> tests performance of "usual hand writen C program" that (for C) is about
> the most important.

The trouble is, which version?
The Linux kernel itself is not stable.  To make a useful benchmark,
you need to pick a specific version of the Linux kernel.

Old versions of the Linux kernel don't work with current versions of GCC,
and probably current versions of the Linux kernel won't work with future
versions of GCC.