Re: Bugzilla for GCC project?

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Craig Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Earlier this year, I had lobbied the GCC project to consider
> moving from GNATS to Bugzilla:

> Bugzilla offers certain benefits over GNATS, such as the ability
> to mark duplicate PR's, better support for MIME attachments,
> better performance, etc.
>
> Dan Berlin has previously demonstrated that it is quite
> possible to migrate the existing GNATS database to a working
> Bugzilla system, by setting this up on his dberlin.org server.

In fact, the longer we go without it, the less code i have to maintain,
because bugzilla keeps getting features i had to "hack" in (Like it will
have customized fields soon, obviating the need for me to have added the
three fields i did everywhere).
> The next steps for this migration to take place as I understood
> it was to set up a working Bugzilla install on gcc.gnu.org and
> place the configuration files under CVS control, so that GCC
> project members/administrators can control and configure the settings.

Yup.

> For this step to take place, I was told that installation of Bugzilla
> would be conditional on setting up a new machine to host gcc.gnu.org.
> As far as I can tell, this has not happened yet.
Correct.
> I was told in July 2002 that:
>
> - the new hardware failed
> - the ISP which hosts gcc.gnu.org was about to go out of business
> - Red Hat's IT department was not supportive of the hardware/network
>   configuration and administration issues
> - no one has time to set up and configure a new machine and Bugzilla
>
> So what are the issues here?  Is it a matter of money?  Is it a lack
> of manpower and time?

I have time and manpower to setup  and configure bugzilla on a machine, i
just don't have a machine.