Re: basic-improvements merge status

--On Monday, December 16, 2002 12:44:10 PM -0800 Geoff Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> wrote:

Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:

It is not clear to me that any purpose is served by holding off the
merge to trunk until all these issues get resolved.  We could instead
do the merge now and fix the problems on the mainline; this would let
people move forward with other work.
I don't know what 'people' are helped by having the mainline
unbuildable and untestable.  I'm very unhappy about the way this
merge was handled.
I'm unhappy that you're unhappy.

I'm very unhappy about the fact that we had regressions on BIB; that
wasn't supposed to happen.

Other people were unhappy that we didn't merge sooner.

Let's fix the problems.  I'm happy to help with the Darwin issues, if
we can get to the point that someone with a cross-compiler (i.e., me),
can see what's happenning.

To be clear: the only patches that should be going to mainline now are
patches to fix the bootstrap issues resulting form the BIB merge.