Re: basic-improvements merge status

It is not clear to me that any purpose is served by holding off the
merge to trunk until all these issues get resolved.  We could instead
do the merge now and fix the problems on the mainline; this would let
people move forward with other work.  It would probably be a good idea
in that case to hold off on further branch merges and other massively
destabilizing patches until these issues do get resolved.
I agree.  These are really problems that should have been detected
and fixed on BIB, but they slipped through.  Nobody's fault, just
how it is.

So, do the merge.

Then, let's leave the mainline frozen except for fixes to those problems.

The best way to make sure that we don't miss these things, especially
since many of them are bootstrap failures, is to fix them *right now*.

Are there PRs for these problems?  If not, please make them, and mark
them as high-priority bugs.

None is likely to be particularly problematic; people with those kinds of
systems can probably figure out what caused the problem quickly, and
then we can figure out how to fix them.

Yes, these are regressions on the mainline, and yes our 48-hour rule says
we would have to revert everything, but I think it's pretty clear that
we're better served by going ahead with the merge and then fixing the
problems.

Thanks,