basic-improvements merge status

Since my last posting on the subject, the Makefile and 32x64 issues
have been resolved and patches checked in.  I have also read through
the entire diff between 3.3 branchpoint and 3.4bib top of branch, to
make sure that no patches have gotten lost.  (It's possible that I
missed something.)

Still unresolved problems reported to me are:

- hppa weak symbols problem
- hppa g++ testsuite failures apparently to do with structure return
- darwin stubs problem
- darwin bootstrap failure
- irix6.5 bootstrap failure
- cygwin bootstrap failure

I do not have access to the systems involved, or enough knowledge of
them to fix the problems even if I did.  I need help from people who
have both these things.

It is not clear to me that any purpose is served by holding off the
merge to trunk until all these issues get resolved.  We could instead
do the merge now and fix the problems on the mainline; this would let
people move forward with other work.  It would probably be a good idea
in that case to hold off on further branch merges and other massively
destabilizing patches until these issues do get resolved.

Thoughts?

zw