Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions

Zack Weinberg wrote:
Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:

*twisted half-grin*

For the top level, I'd been unable to avoid writing complete replacements for AC_PROG_CC and AC_PROG_CXX, and it
was really nasty.

So this is actually better than I'd hoped.

Can you explain a bit about why this is necessary?  It's not at all
obvious to me.
AC_PROG_CC and AC_PROG_CXX, at least in autoconf 2.13, simply didn't handle build!=host builds well. Furthermore, I needed an equivalent to find CC_FOR_TARGET and CXX_FOR_TARGET, and there's no such thing, which left me making a replacement. Not a very different replacement, mind you.

--Nathanael

--Nathanael