Re: Zack's list of requirements

On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 06:52 PM, Richard Kenner wrote:
I'm missing something here.  If those 100 changes cause conflict with
the local change, then won't the local change conflict to a tree with
those 100 changes installed?
[ Anticipating that you're referring to the later case, not the earlier one ]

If one touches 1000 lines of changes that you don't understand, and the other touches 10 lines of code that one understands very well, it might be the case that it is easier to merge in those 10 lines, than it is to merge in those 1000 lines. Remember that not all conflicts have the same cost. I was quickly covering a few different aspects of merging, I didn't mean to imply that the later case would be conflict free, just that it may be easier.