Re: new batch of replies (B)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Tom Lord wrote:

> It certainly is.  Automated queues as described above, operated by
> multiple maintainers, is one of process automations I've had in the
> back of my mind for some time now.  It's nice to read your description
> of the current process in this context.  (Additionally, I think a
> similar system of queues would help Linus.)

We could do with patch queues (preferably a simple system based on a bot
reading gcc-patches) to reduce the rate of patches going unreviewed, but
this is orthogonal to version control changes, and I think a formal system
of merge windows such as you describe is unlikely to be properly effective
for entirely volunteer developers in different timezones who may have
other commitments for a few weeks preventing them from doing the merge,
etc..  The problem is more one of contributors getting tired of keeping
doing merges to update their patch while review goes slowly or legal
paperwork needs to be done.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk