Re: "SSE instruction set disabled?"

>>>From Andrew Pinski:
>>> try with the -msse option.
>>
>> Ah-ha! Thank you.
>>
>> This makes me wonder if -msse should be implied by -mfpmath=sse, or
>> vice versa.
>if -mfpmath=sse impled -msse and not -msse2 most people on P4 system
>would never enable SSE2 support then.
>Perhaps we can drop -msse now and require people to use
>non-contradicitng -march=XXX (ie not asking for -mfpmath=sse and >tunning for CPU with no SSE support in it)

This makes absolute complete sense.

"-mmmx", "-msse", "-msse2", and "-m3dnow" (and their coresponding -mno-xxx) should just go away.

They already are implied by -march=blahblah that we have. If someone wants code tuned for a pentium4, but without any SSE or MMX support then they can type "-march=pentiumpro -mcpu=pentium4"

Although, in my opinion "-mcpu=" should be renamed "-mtune=" like was debated ages ago: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/1999-01n/msg01004.html

One more question: Why isn't "-mfpmath=sse" the default on archs that support it?

Kelley Cook