Re: Irony

On Dec  1, 2002, Marc Espie <espie@quatramaran.ens.fr> wrote:

> Ah, but the slant is more subtle.  I contend that `Free Software' does
> not correspond to freedom as I see it.

> Specifically, freedom to choose my own destiny, and use software as I see
> fit, and possibly do the right moral thing because *I* want to (e.g.,
> continue to share sources), not because some licence legally binds me to
> do it.

Well...  It's `Free SoftwareŽ, not `Software for the free man Marc
EspieŽ :-) It's the software that is, and should remain, free.  It has
to do with *your* freedom only as far as the freedom of the software
enables you to exercise it.  I can see many reasons why anyone might
want to increase their own rights, as opposed to (or sometimes even in
spite of) those of the software, but that's not the goal of the FSF
(at least as I understand it).