Re: (toplevel patch) Real targets for make.

Paulo wrote:

>> [moving the changes to Cygnus configure to binutils and gdb]
>> will happen.  That patch is coming soon; most of the current
>> patches are to prepare for that step.
>
>That's great news.
>
>> Autogen is never run automatically, so this should not be a problem.
>> Only maintainers who edit the toplevel Makefile need to run autogen.
>
>Of course.  But then, editing the toplevel Makefile is much more common
>than
>editing the gcc fixincludes scripts (the other task that currently
>requires Autogen).
My intent is to make it much *less* common than it is now; if I get
things constructed right, it should be less necessary to edit it when
I'm done.

>I would not mind (and might give it a try if I knew it would
>be
>considered good) rewriting Makefile.tpl into Makefile.m4.

So there's still autogen resistance. :-)  I should cc: Bruce Korb, but I
won't.

I actually quite like autogen, even though I'm not terribly fond of
LISP, Scheme, or Guile.  I think autogen does a cleaner, better job of
autogenerating files than any other tool I've used, including m4
(although m4 is OK).

Personally, I'd probably start replacing most of the gen* programs with
autogen-driven scripts if they didn't need to be extremely portable
(which they do).  It would have the advantage that there would be a
template file for each generated C file, and the template file would
mostly look like the generated C file, making for easier editing.

In my semi-long-term plans is a replacement Automake built atop autogen.

So please don't take away my Makefile.tpl. :-)

--Nathanael