Re: Irony

Manfred Hollstein wrote:
"Christoph" == Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> writes:

  Christoph> Right, let the company change it's name because the FSF
  Christoph> Fuehrer wants it!

This is embarrassing! _Everybody_ should accept that Linux is nothing
without GNU, and that GNU wouldn't be/have an OS without Linux. RMS
I'm just a user. And I *do* accept that Linux contains lots of GNU
software. And I think nobody has ever claimed the opposite.

Nevertheless I call that thing Linux, not for political reasons but just because that's the name of it. Its a short, clean name and there is no ambiguity with the kernel of the OS, even the kernel developers call that thing `kernel' or `linux kernel' in their discussions.

is not asking you to call Linux the "GNU OS", but he's correctly
requesting that people call a Linux system a "GNU/Linux" system,
How can such request be correct? It is not justified, neither legally
nor morally. That is as if the steel companies want me to call a car `steel/car', just because a car was nothing without steel. Most people know cars are made of steel anyway, and the rest don't care. Additionally, a great argument against a similar request was given by RMS himself:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html .

> which is a simple way to describe the two parts it consists of.

People using the name `Linux' don't want to describe it. They just want to name it. Anyway, Linux consists of much more components and its impossible to name them all.

Nevertheless I admire RMS for most of his political campaigns and can happily live with that one claim as long as I can simply ignore it.

But his reputation will be spoiled by this ridiculous request.

Regards,
Klaus Fischer