Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH

On 24-Nov-2002, Albert Chin <gcc@lists.thewrittenword.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 11:12:03AM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 07:50:21PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> >
> >  > This is an issue coming up again and again, and it really seems to
> >  > burn users, especially since we switched to libgcc_s.so.
> >
> > ...and it will continue to come up again and again so long as the GCC
> > driver does not record an rpath to the GCC-distributed shared libraries
> > by passing an -R for every -L passed to the linker (lossage is especially
> > colorful for people who have multiple versions of the compiler installed :-).
> >
> > I'm still puzzled as to why that idea is shot down every time it is
> > suggested...
>
> This cannot be done for every platform. HP-UX, Tru64 UNIX, and AIX
> don't treat multiple -R arguments additively like IRIX, Solaris, and
> Linux.

For Tru64, you just need to bunch the -R arguments together into a
single such argument, using ":" as the path separator.  The Mercury
linker does this on Tru64, converting multiple -R options passed to the
Mercury linker into a single -rpath option to pass to Tru64 linker.

Are HP-UX or AIX any more difficult?