Re: f/sta.c:340: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer willbreak strict-aliasing rules

--On Saturday, November 23, 2002 05:26:28 PM +0100 Toon Moene <toon@moene.indiv.nluug.nl> wrote:

L.S.,

Could someone, with larger knowledge of C, ook into this warning and see
if it is reasonable ?
I think it's a false positive warning, but I think most of the aliasing
warnings are going to have high false positive rates.  (Which is why I'm
not a big fan of those warnings...)

The compiler's complaining because the code is casting

 struct _ffesta_possible_root_ *

to a:

 struct _ffesta_possible_ *

In this case, the warning is particularly silly because the latter is
the prefix portion of the former.  (You are doing what we C++ nerds
would call a derived-to-base conversion.)

So, I think the code is OK, even though we warn about it.