Re: Patch: stab info for const fields

     - In the language-independent tree representation, whenever a tree
       with type A has an operand with type B, A not identical to B, the
       operand is implicitly converted to type A before the operation
       occurs.

But what does that mean?  That's the essence of the problem.

Please go back to the originally-stated question: if a see a PLUS_EXPR and
look at its type and the types of its operands, how do I know if that's
a valid tree node in our IL?  If the answer is "you look at the definition
of the language it's written in", that's a serious problem in my view.